I’m not sure I’d consider It’s a Wonderful Life or The Muppet Christmas Carol sad movies, but maybe I’m a monster?
Lifehacker put together a list of the saddest Christmas movies, and here are some of them:
1. “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946): The movie opens with the main character contemplating suicide. Then flashbacks of his life show how he would compromise his dreams for others.
2. “The Family Stone” (2005): Diane Keaton’s character reveals she’s fighting terminal cancer. There’s a time jump at the end showing the family celebrating Christmas after her passing.
3. “The Family Man” (2000): Nicolas Cage’s character gets sucked into an alternate timeline where he married “the one who got away” and they have a happy family. But at the end he’s brought back to reality and loses it all.
4. “Last Christmas” (2019): Emilia Clarke’s character falls for a man played by Henry Golding. He helps her get her life back on track, but at the end you find out he’s actually dead.
5. “The Muppet Christmas Carol” (1992): When Scrooge (Michael Caine) visits his past, he sees how he put aside love for money. There’s a whole musical number called “When Love Is Gone”.
6. “Klaus” (2019): It’s an animated Santa Claus origin story. One of the characters is threatened to be cut off from the family fortune.
7. “Jack Frost” (1998): Michael Keaton’s character comes back from the dead as a snowman on Christmas, a year after his death.
8. “Collateral Beauty” (2018): Will Smith’s character is grieving the loss of his daughter.